Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is the Filipino Really Worth Dying For?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Standing in the middle of NAIA Terminal 3, I always pause and pay a little tribute to this statue of late Ninoy Aquino. He is both my hero and personal benchmark for servant leadership. So when my brother and I arrived at the airport this morning, I looked at it and for the first time, my heart felt a sickening sadness.

I thought the Filipinos wanted change. With all hope and possitivity, I fully believed we deserved better leaders, sustainable development and democracy. It breaks my heart to be proven otherwise.

Re-electionists lead the top six in the senatoriable race. Ousted President and known jueteng protector Joseph Estrada is ranked second among the Presidentiables. And Noynoy Aquino, no less than my hero's own son, is off to bag the Presidency. It pierces me to the bones knowing fully well that in all 12 years that Noynoy has been a senator, he hasn't passed a single bill into law. He hasn't occupied any executive position prior to being a senator. He hasn't even distributed the land many farmers have shed their blood for in the Hacienda Luisita massacre.

And he is going to be my President in the next 6 years. Perchance to dream of a well-deserved democracy. :c

No comments: