Thursday, May 6, 2010

Emmeline Pankhurst

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was googling some old articles regarding the suffrage of women when I stumbled upon this picture of Emmeline Pankhurst. The description says she's being arrested after leading a protest to parliament, armed with a rolled resolution for women's suffrage and a few lilies of the valley. What struck me in the photo was the pride on her face. Such fierceness and defiance.

Similar to Pankhurst's British suffrage movement, women in the Philippines have only been granted the right to vote on 1937, thirty years after the first election law was passed and forty years after Emilio Aguinaldo was elected President at the Tejeros Convention.

I salute all the nameless Filipinas who fought for my own suffrage. And like Emmeline Pankhurst, I hope I will look as proud and defiant when I cast my vote on Monday morning.

No comments: