Monday, May 24, 2010

Freshman Again

Graduate school -- this is the extension of my college years.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Despite my doubts, I have officially decided to proceed to law school. In fact, I have already enlisted myself online, and with that, I'm happy to say that I only have 16 units this coming semester. That amounts to two subjects a day except on Fridays when I only have one. Based solely on the number of units, it would seem that this academic load is way lighter than the one I had during my BAA undergraduate years. But as far as word-of-mouth goes, this won't necessarily be the case.

I've heard several law school horror stories, and I believe some of them are true. A few could be exaggerated, maybe even made-up just to scare me. But for some reason, I am not intimidated by law school. It's not out of pride or anything, because as far as I'm concerned, the idea of going to school, not exactly to study law, relieves me more than it arouses feelings of academic pressure.

If there's one other place where I feel most at home, it would be UP Diliman. It was here that I built dreams, met friends, was humbled, cried and poured my heart and soul on things that I knew would either make or break me as a person. Here, I was never bothered by traffic or polluted city air or expensive lifestyle. In fact, I stayed in its dormitories for four years, paying very little for my lodging and nothing for my tuition fees. It was here that I literally ate, slept and studied. For quite some time, this was my whole world. Little though as it was, I was content.

As an alumna, all I feel for the university now is gratitude for everything it has given me. Of course, all the nice things I typed here might change once I'm in law school and I'm crying my heart out because of a bad recitation. When that time comes, I might think that the world has conspired against me, but let this post be a personal reminder to myself that the days I spent in UP were among the happiest. So there is absolutely no reason for me to sulk and be the drama queen I am likely to morph back into.

On a lighter note, I do hope to find new friends at Malcolm Hall, though it would still be sweet to occasionally annoy Bambi and Ate Anisah especially before their dreaded recitations (insert evil laugh here).

For reference to my future friends, I am in Block A and although we haven't officially met or got ourselves enrolled for that matter, we already have -- tantararan -- an assignment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kam! I hope you still remember who I am. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your posts. :-)

Even though I only stayed in Diliman for a year, I definitely can say that, like yours, my time there was among the most memorable experiences in my life.

I miss UP... (sigh)

Katrina Magallanes said...

Hi Jef! Of course I remember you! How can I forget when you were one of the first persons I met in UP.

How are you? How's Texas? If you miss UP, you can always come and visit us here. :)