Friday, April 23, 2010

Of Theme Songs and Practiced Catwalks

Thinking I could cash in a few hundred bucks while killing time, I decided to apply for a writing position online. The job doesn’t require knowledge on a whole range of topics other than economics, business and more specifically the Currency market which is a plus considering my professional background. I thought I’d be asked to write an essay on the JPY/USD trend and how Greece is affecting the world’s foreign exchange rates, but I was stupefied by the question If you entered a room and a theme song played, what would your song be and why?

The cursor on my laptop screen blinked twice and I blinked with it, wondering if this was a real question or a mere joke. I thought Well, what the heck, it’s an interesting question anyway. So I typed Beautiful Ones by Suede.

Call me vain or narcissistic, call me whatever you want, but I have always fantasized walking in slow-motion with an air of nonchalance like Victoria and the other villain vampires in the teeny-bopper movie Twilight. In my head, Brett Anderson’s distinct raspy voice would re-echo the line Here they come, the beautiful ones, the beautiful ones. La la la la as if announcing the arrival of some demigod.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I would then sashay into the room feigning a natural casualness as possible and thinking of an imaginary wind that would slightly waft through my hair making it look flowy but without the frizz. Of course, I will smile at no one as vampires had always had that snobbish air around them, but deep inside, I will be wearing a wide idiotic grin for having accomplished such a meticulously planned feat.

I will then relish every step I will take as I walk into the room. This moment would be perfect and I would finally live the daydream of being Victoria. Disinterested. Elegant. Beautiful. Hahahaha.


No comments: